Tuesday, January 20, 2009

The importance of today...


We still have a long way to go. That's what I thought as I watched the inauguration of President Barack Obama this afternoon with my fifth hour writing class. That's what I thought when a phone call interrupted; an enraged parent cussed me out for showing the inauguration. When I said I thought it important that students respectfully listen to the words of our new President, the parent responded, "He's not my #&^% president..." and on and on.

I am thrilled that the nation has come together in a way that I have never seen in my lifetime, but I know that we still have hate among us, and it will only be conquered by hard work and patriotism and love, and it may take a long time.

Is this even about track? Yes it is. Track is just a little part of the world, but for me, who came out of an all-white community near Detroit, track was my first real introduction to African-Americans. It was the first point of shared passion for the finest and the first of all sports. It was the first classroom where I learned that we are united by our commitment to reach our potential, in track and in life, and that commitment can be more powerful than skin color.

I feel that I am so lucky to have been a part of this sport. The diversity of people I have met has helped me appreciate that America doesn't belong to any one skin color, but to all. At your next track meet, take a look around. We are all blessed to be here.

No comments: