Friday, July 4, 2008

Thursday: Nicole Bush takes 4th


An incredibly brave race tonight by Nicole Bush highlighted the meet. Wearing the Michigan State colors, the Kelloggsville alum raced to a Michigan all-time record of 9:40.27 in the fastest race in U.S. history. Bush was able to stay with the torrid pace until the last kilometer, but she rallied well to finish 4th. She will be the Olympic alternate. The University of Michigan's Anna Willard easily won the race in an American Record 9:27.59.

Afterwards, Bush said the Trials will give her a big boost heading into her senior year at MSU. "It's confidence and experience. It all comes down to experience."

Other Michigan athletes also fared well tonight. Corey Nowitzke, a Monroe alum, ran a lifetime best 8:27.78 to make the finals of the steeplechase. In the following heat, Lake Orion grad Jordan Desilets ran 8:34.74 and also qualified.

Steve Sherer (Saline alum) ran 3:44.71 and easily qualified for the 1500 semis. Said Sherer, "I was happy. This is the first-time I have ever got out of the first round. I usually let my nerves get the best of me and run out like a scared rabbit, but I'm finally learning how to run a championship round. My goal for the next round is to just place in the top-six."

No comments: